Halloween Horror Marathon: Part 9 - Dead Shadows (2012)

What the hell is going on?

Who are these people?

Does this make any god damn sense?

These were all questions I asked as I got into the finale of this film. It's amazing how little respect it has for the idea of narrative flow. What's the greatest shame is I thought this movie was going to be good.

In the beginning we get an opening that seems almost Lovecraftian, and for those few minutes I was giddy. But then the movie started to crap itself big time. Things would just happen without any real rhyme of reason, but it's there just to forcefully move the story along.

The more and more it does this, the more holes bigger than a bus start to appear. Characters do some of the stupidest things imaginable. Plot points are hammered into place but never fit. Conclusions are met without having any leg work done to earn them.

And yet. There were some things that I liked that kept me watching. Actually only one thing. The aliens. They infect humans and mutate them, which allowed for some nice make up jobs and interesting kills. Yep we've got a deadly penis tentacle that kills folks.

But everything else is complete and utter drek. The ending makes no sense, the middle makes no sense, and the more I thought about it the beginning makes no sense. Maybe it's a cultural thing and I don't get this movie. But personally I found it to be complete crap and best avoided. Even for lovers of icky things that kill.

Comments

Popular Posts