Halloween Horror Marathon: Part 10 - The Mummy (1932)

So I finally reach Halloween. Huzzah. To celebrate I've decided to watch some of my Universal Monster movies. I've always been a fan of these movies when I was growing up. Sure they are old but there is just a magic to them.

Let's take The Mummy.

Boris Karloff just owns the screen when he's on. His Imhotep is a tragic villain who's doing everything for love. Such a great actor and his performance in this is just as great as his other iconic role of Frankenstein's Monster.

Of course some of the special effects can be very humorous when seen through the eyes of this modern world, but there is still some great things to see. Off the top of my head, it's all about the glowing eyes. Simple but damn effective.

I would also like to point out that this movie runs for 73 minutes and manages to actually create a compelling story in that time. How the holy heck can movies run longer and yet forget about a nice cohesive plot? B'ah, that's a rant for another time.

Of course there are some things in the movie that might rub people the wrong way. Basically the sensibilities of 1932 will just not gel well with some modern audiences. I however can over look it all because there is a good film at the core.

The Mummy is a deserved classic and it's a must for horror fans. Worship at the feet of Karloff.


Comments

Popular Posts