Halloween Horror Marathon: Part 5 - House on Haunted Hill (1999)

I'm a fan of the original movie and i'm also a fan of this movie. Hell I had to look abroad for my copy of this movie because it seems Australia only got the sequel. Really retailers? REALLY? FUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOU.

Now i've got that childishness out of the way I must say that the reason why I love this movie is two things. Geoffrey Rush, who's normal awesome in films and has been the saving grace for me in many movies (I'm looking at you forth fucking pirates movie). Strangely enough the second reason is Chris Kattan.

Yeah i'm not the biggest fan, but hell is he awesome in his movie. Watson Pritchett is the kind of character that a normal person would represent. He wants nothing to do with the night and tries to play it sensibly, but in the end when he gets caught in the house with everyone else a nihilistic tone washes over him. The fact that he's still loveable in a way shows how Kattan just was in the zone with this character.

While I have a high regard for these two actors, everyone else does a great job. They are also backed up by a movie that oozes a great fun Halloween style. The entire location is great and it's always fun to watch the characters explore the refurnished mental asylum.

Unfortunately in my opinion this was the height of Dark Castles horror movies. What makes it sadder is this was the first one they did. I also liked Thirteen Ghosts, but they never seemed to recapture the fun of this movie. It also didn't hurt that the movie was backed by an awesome cover of Sweet Dreams done by Marilyn Manson.

Comments

Popular Posts