Review: The Amityville Asylum (2013)

Review by Disgruntled Monkey

Director: Andrew Jones
Starring: Sarah Louise Madison, Eileen Daly & Kenton Hall
Writer: Andrew Jones

When you watch as many horror movie as I do, sometimes you've just got to select stuff by movie posters. The Amityville Asylum was one of those decisions and I may start rethinking my position. What I was a witness too was something more horrifying than anything that a ghost could conjure up.

Well that's not really fair. There are some positives to this movie that I feel should be highlighted. First off the movie actually works as a sequel to previous Amityville Horror movies. As such it tries to give a sense of progression to the over all mythos. It's appreciated.

Also I have to give a tip of my hat to Lee Bane as the character Delaney. While his accent is pretty heavy, he still comes across as a sympathetic character with alot of layered nuance. It's a shame that he never seems all that well used, but I was thankful to have one character who I could actually could get behind.

Other than these two things, the movie just fails on numerous levels. Writing, acting, technical know how. It's pretty atrocious and what's worse i'm not sure if there was any real passion behind the movie. Every minute that ticked down just seemed to drag on and that's not how you should feel watching a movie.

Category
Rating
Reason
Entertainment
0 ghosts out of 1
Well I was never entertained.
Script
0 ghosts out of 1
Just terrible and it never really made sense.
Acting
0.5 ghosts out of 1
Lee Bane get's this half.
Directing
0 ghosts out of 1
The movie never felt like a whole.
Technical
0.5 ghosts out of 1
The fact that it carries on from previous stuff lends it a good base. Nothing is however capitalized.



Overall
1 ghost out of 5
Just not a good movie at all.

Comments

Popular Posts