Review: Basket Case 3 (1991)

Review by Disgruntled Monkey

Director: Frank Henenlotter
Starring: Kevin Van Hentenryck, Annie Ross and Gil Roper
Writers: Frank Henenlotter and Robert Martin

With the second movie there was hope, but this movie brings a whole new problem and at the end of the day proves to be a misstep. Basket Case 3 suffers from not having anyone to actually barrack for. *sigh*

Now Basket Case 3 could be trying to spread the message that everyone is a freak, but it still doesn't help that I HATED everyone in this film. Everyone was a monster and probably the movie's nicest character got dispatched early on.

Creature design is still good but I had some sympathy for the side freaks. This time I couldn't give a crap so that wonderful Looney Tunes vibe that was being built is flushed down the toilet.

I could go on, but i'm going to keep this short. It's not as bad as the first movie but it's a huge disappointment when compared to the second. Anything I liked is buried underneath a messy script, mixed message and just horrible characters that I want to die. It's okay to be zany but you need characters to cheer for.

Category
Rating
Reason
Entertainment
0 baskets out of 1
Unlikeable characters.
Script
0 baskets out of 1
Messy script that doesn't know what it wants to say.
Acting
0.5 basket out of 1
Annie Ross is still good as Granny Ruth.
Directing
0 baskets out of 1
I guess I just don't get Henenlotter
Technical
0.5 basket out of 1
Creature design is still fun.



Overall
1 baskets out of 5
A step back for the series.

Comments

Popular Posts