Quick Movie Review: Vol 30


American Reunion (2012)

So it comes to pass and the circle is finally finished. Actually this is a sequel we never needed, and yet it manages to retain enough charm to be just passable. But only just. Everyone one of the returning actor’s slips into their character easily enough, and there isn’t much of a surprise in where the characters have headed in their later years. Stifler yet again seems to be the comedy highlight, so adjust your expectations according to the mileage you get from the character.

The main brunt of the story is our four main characters going through a mid life crisis, and various wacky misunderstandings occur as they try to get to grips with it. I think this is the very definition of an average movie. It never does anything wrong, and you can be entertained by it, but there is nothing really to recommend it to anyone.

Stardust (2007)

Don’t ask me why but I was always reluctant to see this movie, but finally I put whatever emotions I had about it aside and sat down to watch it. What I found was a fascinating world that not only had its sly jabs at the fantasy genre, but a richness that allowed for heroic feats and romantic stories to thrive. It’s all helped thanks to Matthew Vaughn and his wonderful eye for detail.

Acting wise we have Robert DeNiro tackling a character I haven’t seem him handle, Michelle Pfeiffer having a wonderful time as the evil witch and Charlie Cox hitting the right note of adventurous youth and love struck naïve boy. I was also never a fan of Claire Danes but damn is she great as Yvaine the fallen star who the movie revolves around. Fans of fantasy, especially those who have a soft spot of Labyrinth and Princess Bride should love Stardust as it captures that same magic.

Justice League: Doom (2012)

Loosely based on one of my favourite Justice League story, I will put up front that this could all be because I’m a fanboy, but I didn’t like this movie. The comics were an interesting look at Batman and his interactions with the JLA, it culminated in one of the dramatic moments in the relationship between Batman and Superman. However this movie has gone out of its way to change things and I’m not really sure why.

The main villain has changed, the overall game plan has changed, over villains have been added, and even the final resolution has changed to make Batman not suffer any real consequences. I’m sure people will like the movie though as it’s a breezy watch and of course there are super heroes and villains punching the crap out of each other. The animation is okay but I’ve seen better in other DC products. If you want an easy watch, or something to watch with the kids on the Saturday afternoon then this could be what you seek.

Comments

Popular Posts