Quick Movie Reviews: Vol 18


It’s beginning to look like Christmas and what better way to celebrate than to take a look at a trio of movies that have nothing to do with Christmas. Also with the end of the year just a weeks or so away, I’ve been trying to catch up on as many movies as possible for the 2011 season. So expect a few quick movie reviews to come out over the coming days. So anyway strap yourself in, cause here we go.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010)

A nice little spin on the horror genre. Tucker and Dale are two hillbillies who get put into a situation where a group of teenagers believe they are evil killers like from all the horror movies. It’s funny, gory and an idea that I haven’t seen much. The two leads played by Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine work well off each other, and have a loveable quality to them which is really essential for this movie to work. If there was one thing that kind of annoyed me, was a late in the movie twist that really didn’t do anything to improve the movie. To be honest the final revelation kind of destroyed the effectiveness of what was happening. Overall though horror movie lovers should enjoy Tucker & Dale vs Evil.

The Holy Mountain (1973)

I wanted to do a full review of this movie but I came to the realisation that I don’t have much to write about it. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy it; it’s just a movie that can be an extremely personal experience for each individual watcher. The movie is deeply symbolic with massive religious overtones. Also the movie doesn’t hold your hand and in my mind the story that is happening does depend on what the audience member creates. Aside from the plot the movie has some excellent imagery, and there is just a beautiful attention to detail. Having watched this I want to continue with Alejandro Jodorowsky movies, but I understand that these movies will not be everyone’s cup of tea.

Troll Hunter (2010)

First off I think I need to say that the character of Hans the Troll Hunter is pretty bad ass, and he has one of the best exits of a character on film I’ve seen in a while. That scene alone makes me want to buy this movie because I was so invested in the character. Otto Jespersen does a fantastic job and I applaud him. So getting away from that one character, the movie is a pretty excellent idea, and one of the better found footage movies I’ve seen. I saw everything on the screen, there was no time where I felt disorientated from the shooting style. The special effects aren’t the best, but they’ve made sure to give each individual troll a different personality. I would highly recommend this movie as there is a great pace to it, and I was never bored. Maybe the only thing to point out is that it’s a foreign movie and therefore it involves subtitles, it wasn’t a problem for me but I know subtitles can turn people off, still I think people should put this feeling aside as the movie is very enjoyable.

Comments

  1. Haven't seen the second one, but Tucker and Dale and Troll Hunter were excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lot of fun with both. I wonder how they will do with the remake of Troll Hunter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its always good be get new and updated movie reviews as it is one of the most important part of our life, entertainment and fashion.Wether it to be a movie or a comedy all have its different place and importance.Some times going back into the past is fun. the craze of movie has taken a great speed from long times, and is now going on increasing day by day. And all want to be updated always.film reviews

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts