Quick Movie Reviews: Vol 9


Continuing my catch up on all the movies I’ve watched. Some were pretty surprising, others met expectations. Still doesn’t give you a clue if it’s positive or negative, but that’s the hook. You’ll have to read to find out, mwhahahahahahahaha. Okay I’m over it. Time to look at a new batch of movies. Join me won’t you.

I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)

This was such a pleasant surprise. I heard good things about Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor in this not typical comedy romance. However because it didn’t get much of a release, and being put on the shelf for a bit, I was not expecting such a touching, funny and poignant movie. Carrey is funny as hell, McGregor is pitch perfect as his love interest, and the two actually have a really good chemistry. Some have said that this is one of Jim Carrey’s bravest performances, while I wouldn’t go that far, it certainly is one of his better performances. I think that a few people should give this movie a try as it has been under looked and it is very good.

Red (2010)

It took me a while to get to this movie and it was as good as I thought it would be. Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis and John Malkovich all seem to be having such a great time in this movie it comes through and you can’t help but be caught up in the fun. It’s a light, fun action movie that is sometimes missing in action films of late. I couldn’t help but imagine that this was a sequel to a late 80’s, early 90’s action movie that was never created. As such I can see many movie marathons where I’ll be watching Red along with the likes of Tango and Cash or Demolition Man. Fun action for the win.

Year One (2009)

Jack Black is an interesting case, I like Tenacious D, and have enjoyed him in some movies, but damn do my limits get tested sometimes. He’s like junk food and should only be enjoyed on occasion; too much you’ll get sick. Year One just doesn’t have any focus, it limps from joke to joke, all the while Jack Black mugs for the camera. I think what’s worse is there is an actually good idea at the centre of the movie, something that could have been down right hilarious, instead I chuckled on occasion and wanted to smack my television screen whenever Jack’s grinning face. To be fair though Michael Cera as the other lead didn’t really help matters. I have a bit more faith in Cera than most, but damn does his shtick get as tired and boring as Jack Black’s.

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2010)

I was not expecting much, and even though I liked Brandon Routh in Scott Pilgrim, I still sting a little from his performance in Superman (a tad fan boyish but then again I’m a fan boy). Still I can actually see in Dylan Dog he would be a good leading man. This movie is flawed and yet I had fun as I was watching. I love stuff that deals with hidden supernatural worlds, and this movie had enough of a spin to be unique. The zombie stuff was actually really interesting and something I hadn’t though of before. Oh and Peter Stormare yet again gives another bat shit insane performance, he’s getting close to giving Nic Cage a run. So if your after a harmless, film dealing with werewolves, vampires and zombies then go watch Dylan Dog, you may find a fun film.

The subtlety that is Peter Stormare as the devil in Constantine.


Comments

  1. Phillip Morris: I'm yet to see, but I am sure I will, at some point.

    Red: I dug a heck of a lot. You are right that it's just straight up fun.

    Year One: I watched one afternoon...well, I fell asleep 10 minutes in, literally. Woke up during the final scenes and couldn't be arsed going back to it.

    Dylan Dog: I really enjoyed this, way more than I thought I would, given the SWF goofing that it got. I'm yet to be disappointed by Routh, tbh, even though Superman Returns was dull as dishwater.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts