Review - Moon (2009)

"Sam, get some sleep. You're very tired."

Director: Duncan Jones
Starring: Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey
Screenplay: Nathan Parker

Plot: Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) is a miner on the moon on a three year contract. Except for a robot named GERTY he is all alone. Closing in on the end of his contract an accident occurs that will throw everything Sam understands up in the air.

Last year I really wanted to catch this movie at the cinemas, from the buzz it was being made out to be a thoughtful science fiction movie that worked around it's minimal budget. However alas the Australian release schedule is fickle and we never got it around where I live. Finally thanks to Blu Ray release I've managed to watch the movie. Now to talk to much about this movie would be to give it away, it's not that it revolves around on a twist but it's much better to discover what it is about than to have everything told. So the review might be a little short but I really do have to talk about this movie as much as I can.

Well first of all a huge round of applause must go to Sam Rockwell who is the whole damn show, well you can count Kevin Spacey as the voice of GERTY who turns out to be more emotional than I thought, but in the end it's Sam Rockwell who owns this movie. I've been a fan of his for sometime in fact I gave him some thumbs up just recently in my Iron Man 2 review, he can play the weasel, the idiot and a good man and is very diverse with his talent. Being the only real character in this movie it's all on his shoulders and Rockwell turns in a performance that truly shows what a great actor he is. I hate using the cliche but the turn is Oscar worthy.

Visually the movie is stunning and considering that the budget for this movie was $5 million my jaw hit the floor. A lot of films could take a lesson from this movie in regards to how to make the most of the money. Truly some of the shots real captured the loneliness of the situation, and the set real does look futuristic yet at the same time small touches make it human. Duncan Jones has captured my attention and I'm looking out for any more of his work.

It was great to watch a science fiction film that tried to impress with its central theme and not trying to blow the audience away with meaningless special effects. If people are into science fiction I would highly recommend seeing this movie. Moon is just a brilliant movie that deserves all the attention it gets.

Comments

Popular Posts